My motor is ticking more when I give it gas.

25

Asked by Jun 17, 2007 at 10:32 PM about the 1999 Ford Mustang

This started a couple of weeks ago and the ticking did not seam so bad it is now getting louder specially when I give it gas. It is sounds like the motor and I can't tell which side. I am a woman and I have no idea what could be wrong. I do know that I will have to take it in but I would like some idea of what it could be that would be great. Thank you.

29,615

Check the valves, the valve lifter, and the oil pump.

65

ya mine was doing that.. it's your lifter.. don't let that go or one day it will get really really loud all at once and then about 10 min later send a push rod through the block

275

It COULD be a noisy lifter, but it could be also something as simple as a small exhaust leak.

1,165

It could be poor fuel , causing a "ping" or slight "knock" from the motor . Try a higher grade of fuel. If the oil is low, or dirty ( over 3000 miles since last oil change) you might need to change it. Sometimes switching to a synthetic oil , or synthetic blend will help make the motor run quieter . It costs more then regular oil , but it is far better for the engine . ( this is a cheaper attempt to get rid of an engine noise, instead of replacing lifters ) Lastly , a small exhaust leak will make a "ticking" noise too....usually when the engine is first started up an put into gear , or under heavy acceleration . I would go to a good repair garage to see if they can diagnose the source of the noise , and recommend what actions to take . If the engine has high mileage it is probably getting tired and may need an oil pump, lifters , etc... ...especially if it has been neglected ( no maintenance ) so if you are handed a big estimate , shop around for a couple of opinions . Stick to a smaller garage wit ha good reputation.

225

If it is a lifter tapping in you motor then the next time that you put oil in it put a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer and c if that works.

125

it may be a cracked header. Do you smell gas and is the idle steady or not?

75

bad lifter, stretched rod maybe

500

ford are known for this ticking sound it is a lifter problem alot of the times the valve guide gets stuck and binds up.. it is a big fix but if it is still a new noise there is still a solution that may or may not help but worth a try... buy some power steering fluid and drop a liter into the engine... i know it sounds stupid but it works, the p/s fluid and oil don't mix and the p/s fluid will help lube up the valves, some might say trans fluid but p/s fluid works by far the best ... have yourself a great day.....

2,010

agree with dave on this one...a litre or quart of power steering will stop this annoying noise...have done it on quite a few occassions myself and surprising it works....hope this helps

55

that would have been your rod bearing not a lifter a lifter would just be noisey

985

yeah probabally a lifter issue... but it could also be a exhaust issue... i just got done with the latter... few holes from winter driving and im hearing a tick... fixed the hole no more sound... interesting with the power steering fluid guys... im gonna look into that ... thx...

115

i have seen that alot i work on alot of stuff like that it tends to be the piston slapping due to wear do u change the oil regularly and try the cylinder restore that u can buy buy in most cases it wont get better

45

yea i guss u know by now that its the lifter.... they sell some stuff called marvol mistery oil its in a red bottle add some to ur oil and it shuld stop within a few days of driving it...

195

you can try to dump as many different things in the motor as you want if its exhaust this will not help if its a lifter it may make it quiter for a short period of time but will deffinatly not fix anything. If you are going to start pouring misc. fluids into your motor do yourself a favor and change your oil and flush all the crap you just poured in out because it won't ever fix anything just make it quiter for a little bit then it will get worse bring it to a shop if you are unsure and have it fixed before it developes into something worse it just started fix it and don't listen to anyone who tells you to pour crap into your motor thats a backyard fix

45

or just get something better then a mustang, :D

125

check valves and valve lifter....and it could be your exhaust manifold gaskets

65

you drive a ford dude, you need a new head.

75

that probly means tha rods n pistons r knockin try to change ur oil and put in a oil addittive to stop it or it has to b rebuilt

5

it could just be an exhaust manifold leak it can sound like a rod knock also make sure you got enough oil too

95

tappin valves

10

i would take everybodys advice on the lifter and con-rod. get it seen too professionaly as it can mean a very large bang and then your engine is damaged.

55

I would check your oil pressure, and change your oil. then see if the sound goes away, ...does the knocking come from the top of the engine? do not run Penzoil in your car, it sludged my oil pump up on my 03' mustang and it started knocking bad, i had to buy new rod bearings and a oil pump..., but that is my opinion on what you should do is check your oil and change it...then if its still the same get it checked out, autozone will tell you what is wrong with it for free, but they charge you to fix it.

9,415

Low oil pressure would do it. So would a heavier weight oil. That year ford calls for a 5w20. If you had you oil recently changed I would make sure the right type was put in. The oil pumps used in the newer Fords cannot handle hevier weight oils for very long. Check oil level too.

20

i had that same problem a short while ago, when i gave it more gas, especially up hills, it would make a ticking noise. i thought it might have been the exhaust or something but sure enough my timing belt snapped. that could be it, its not cheep to fix either, mine would have run me over 600 dollars if i didnt do it myself. if you have upwards of 100,000 miles or more on your car id say its a good bet.

55

i guarantee u this is the culprit... GUYS SINCE WHEN DO THE MODULAR ENGINE HAVE LIFTERS?!?!?!?!?!?!

35

use higher octane gas.. the more expensive stuff lol.. the ticking is caused by 'pre-ignition' which means the gas is burning in the engine before the spark happens.. if you are using the 94 octane already, try adding some octane booster

Please, any one can help? Mustang 2004 3.9L 130miles. while driving sound like high RMP? but Idle look ok.

155

Could be the timing chains going bad

435

HI,I think you should get your car manual out,turn to the index and look for changing fluids or look for fluids.Turn to the page and read until you find the correct weight of oil you need to use.It should read something like this:5w-20 or 5w-30 or 10w-30 ect.you probably should see the numbers 5w-20 or 5w-30.you should see one of those numbers.You should also see one of those numbers on the oil filler cap.After you find out the correct numbers,take it to a person or a place you KNOW YOU CAN TRUST!!!!!! The dealership is probably your best bet.So wherever you end up taking it YOU MUST DO THIS FIRST!!GO to your local auto pats store and make sure you have the numbers you found in your car manual written on a piece of paper with you.Tell the employee working there that you want 5 quats of VALVOLINE HIGH MILEAGE SYNBLEND MOTOR OIL in that number you wrote down from your car manual.Then ask for aPURALATOR ONE OIL FILTER FOR YOUR ENGINE.He can look up the size of your engine on his computer or go to your car lift the hood to find the engine size.If they dont have a puralater one oil filter ask for a BOSH,or a FRAM.DONT TELL HIM WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR CAR because he probably doesnt have a clue.AND dont LET him SELL you ANYTHING else,because that is all you need.Then take your car to your trusted shop,tell them you want a oil change and that you got your own oil and oil filter.DO NOT LET THEM TALK YOU INTO SOMETHING ELSE!!YOU TELL THEM YOU WANT TO USE WHAT YOU HAVE!!!So he should change your oil.YOU NEED TO ASK HIM TO SHOW YOU THE QUANTITY OF OIL YOUR ENGINE TAKES WITH THE NEW FILTER!YOU NEED TO DO THAT!!And if this shop is a well known shop with good techs he will show you.After the oil change have him show you the level on the oil dipstick,make sure you see the level of oil and ask him where the full level mark is at,that is where the oil should stop at.IF its okay now is the time that you heard that ticking noise.Start your car and let it run for about 4 minutes then start listning for the ticking,you can rev the engine up while he listens.IF no ticking noise you might have fixed the problem.If he heres a ticking noise say OKAY THANKYOU SIR,then pay the man,it should not be over 20.00 dollars but if its close thats okay.Then drive to your trusted muffler exhaust shop and tell him that you think you have a small leak in your exhaust system and that the noise is coming from the front part of your exhaust.He should find something and hopefully it is your exhaust and not an enternal engine problem.Now YOU,YOURSELF have done all you can do.GOOD LUCK!!!

40

when i turn off my 2007 mustang gt it make a noise like its loosing pressure from some where in the front can any one help??

40

also when on its making a knocking noise by the intake maniforld any sugestions??

25

My 2000 ford mustang mph goes up when I stop at a light or my air condition is on.

5

Make sure that you are using proper oil. I own two Mazda Miatas they recommend 5w20. I have noticed oover the years that using this oil makes engine ping. Started using 5w30 and no anymore smooth sounding now.

10

I have a 98 ford f-150 there is a small ticking but as u drive it more the ticking goes away is that normal

115

I am a master Mechanic for 43 years. The sound could be a lifter that the check valve has gotten gummed up and will not let the lifter stay pumped up. The power steering fluid is an idea that could work.Power Steering fluid and Automatic transmission fluid are very similar. I have used ATF fluid many times to solve problems. ATF Fluid has a large quantity of detergent in the fluid. Mechanics that work on transmissions hands are always dirty removing the transmission but after working on the inside their hands are clean. I once worked on an old police cruiser that the oil had not been changed in 60 thousand miles. it had 125000 miles on the car. It was so gummed up you could not see the valve springs looking through the oil fill in the valve cover. It made so much noise it sounded like a bicycle with a card in the spokes on the wheels. I drained out the oil and put a new filter on and put in 5 qts of dextron atf fluid. I then started the car and let it idle for an hour. I drained out the oil and it looked like black tar coming out. I did the atf fill and filter change 3 times. After the second treatment there was no more lifter noise but the oil was still black when I drained it the second time. When I drained the oil the third time the oil was still reddish but it was dark. After that our township police kept the car till it had 285000 miles on it and we never had to do any engine work on it. We did change the oil every 2,000 miles. My wifes Camaro recently developed lifter noise and I did the same treatment and low and behold the noise went away! ON THING DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR WITH THE ATF IN IT. tHAT WOULD PUT TO MUCH PRESSURE ON THE THINNER ATF. ONLY IDLE!! I also have added 1 QT of atf to my oil a few days before and oil change to let the detergent clean up the engine. Just don't drive hard or strain the engine!

I have a 2005 buick lacrosse 3.6, & my lifters are tapping, i changed all my lifters, put everything back together. when i started my car, it was still making the tapping noise, maybe a little louder. any suggestions?

115

You could have a clogged oil galley in the engine which could be blocking the oil pressure from pumping up the lifters

how do i take care of that?

1,945

I'm going to try DAVID'S theory, i've got two old fords, and they both tick on occasion's, and i'm tired of readjusting the rockers.::::: DAVID, the power steering fluid won't hurt the motor in any way???????

My v6 mustang is tapping in the engine bay, so I'm dropping it off at the ford dealer it will take 12 hours to fix it, and the techs are paid $95.00 a hour, but they know what their doing

So let me get this straight put some power stirring oil in the oil where the oil go

115

I am a master Mechanic for 43 years. The sound could be a lifter that the check valve has gotten gummed up and will not let the lifter stay pumped up. The power steering fluid is an idea that could work.Power Steering fluid and Automatic transmission fluid are very similar. I have used ATF fluid many times to solve problems. ATF Fluid has a large quantity of detergent in the fluid. Mechanics that work on transmissions hands are always dirty removing the transmission but after working on the inside their hands are clean. I once worked on an old police cruiser that the oil had not been changed in 60 thousand miles. it had 125000 miles on the car. It was so gummed up you could not see the valve springs looking through the oil fill in the valve cover. It made so much noise it sounded like a bicycle with a card in the spokes on the wheels. I drained out the oil and put a new filter on and put in 5 qts of dextron atf fluid. I then started the car and let it idle for an hour. I drained out the oil and it looked like black tar coming out. I did the atf fill and filter change 3 times. After the second treatment there was no more lifter noise but the oil was still black when I drained it the second time. When I drained the oil the third time the oil was still reddish but it was dark. After that our township police kept the car till it had 285000 miles on it and we never had to do any engine work on it. We did change the oil every 2,000 miles. My wifes Camaro recently developed lifter noise and I did the same treatment and low and behold the noise went away! ONE THING DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR WITH THE ATF IN IT. tHAT WOULD PUT TO MUCH PRESSURE ON THE THINNER ATF. ONLY IDLE!! I also have added 1 QT of atf to my oil a few days before and oil change to let the detergent clean up the engine. Just don't drive hard or strain the engine!

Ok i have a problem also i can hear something tappen and idk if its my valves or my timeing chain or the guides but i can hear the ticking noise more when i open my oil cap when my car is on?what can it be?