Has me stumped

19,810

Asked by May 31, 2012 at 07:00 AM about the 1999 Ford Explorer

Changed power steering pump on 99 v6 explorer.  New pump whines badly.  Returned pump and second one is worse than first.  Even worse than original.  Pressed on pulley correctly and is alligned.  Bled system manually.  Now it is an autozone pump.  And I got a bad one another time when changing it on an older Caddy.  What are the chances I got two bad rebuilt pumps?

13,115

It is definitely possible you got two bad pumps, not likely, but possible. Another possibility could be the fluid. Did you completely drain the system of oil at any point. You could have some heavy stop - leak oil in system causing cavitation. Drain system completely and start with all new power steering fluid.

Best Answer Mark helpful
19,810

Thanks aztec: The pump I replaced was the original pump from '99. I did not drain the system and actually lost only the fluid in the old pump. I did speak to my mechanic, who does work I do not want to do, and he indicated he has had the same problem with Fords in the past. Seems the only way he has solved the problem pump whine on occassions is to purchase a pump from Ford. I'm dropping off the car at his shop today. I'll let you know.

19,810

Got is back yesterday and it's as quiet as a mouse. I did get two bad pumps, but there was another problem. After installing the third pump it still had a little whine when turning the wheel, but much - much better. He then lifted the car and disconnected the return line, plugging the hole on the pump. He then placed the line is a container, started the enging and continually had someone add new fluid while he slowly turned the wheel from left to right. The fluid comming out of the original 99 rack was black. He pumped about two quarts through the system until it exited clear. Sounds great. Or should I say the lack of any sound sounds great. He told me like any other hydrolic fluid, it breaks down and becomes contaminated. Anytime a pump is replaced the system should be flushed. He also recommended I purchased a new high pressure line and return line. One is a screw on fitting, the other clamps on.

13,115

Having bad new parts can really complicate things and it happens all to often. Sounds like you have a good mechanic. Glad you got it ironed out.

50

Noise from a new pump is usually air in the system. It takes a while to get all the micro bubbles back to the reservore where they can pop. sometimes we have to run the engine let it sit for a while then run it again to get all the air out. Flushing the old fluid out removed the air in the system, sounds like it needed it if the color was not red.