89 chevy celebrity keeps draining battery. mechanics say its charging good.

Asked by May 04, 2014 at 12:58 AM about the 1989 Chevrolet Celebrity

takes about 2 weeks to drain battery, has done it to 2 new batteries

31,925

It couldn't be charging that good if the battery keeps draining. Get a second opinion.

80

Take the negative battery cable off of the battery and connect a 12volt test light between the negative battery post and the negative battery cable terminal. If the testlight is lit, there is an electrical drain on the battery. Start pulling fuses until the testlight goes out. This will at least tell you what circuit the battery drain is coming from. Remember though, that you are probably laying on your back on the floor board looking at the fuse box, with your legs hanging out of the open car door. The open car door will make the testlight lite as well. I actually use an old door alarm buzzer, the thing that warns you that your keys are still in the ignition when you open the door, instead of a testlight. That way I can pull the fuses until I hear the buzzer stop buzzing and know that I found the circuit that has the drain on it.

31,925

Good one!

glove box lamp may be on all the time if the box is not closing right. Try removing the bulb.