Vibration in overdrive

10

Asked by Mar 25, 2013 at 04:20 PM about the 1989 Chevrolet Celebrity

I have a 1989 Chevy Celebrity Wagon that has 105,000 miles. I Had all the vacuum lines under the hood replaced because of a slight rough idle. Some things were rerouted and I wanted it all original. I drove about 125 miles parked and two days later when I got on the highway it would vibrate the car in overdrive. If I put it in third or kicked in to passing gear it would stop. I replaced the map sensor and transmission modulator but it is still doing the same thing. Any suggestions? it may be two separate issues but they happened so close together I am confused.

258,045

What do you mean by rerouted? Did you have the vibration before you replaced the vaccum lines? If so, I'd say since it only happens when you have the car in overdrive, I would say your problem is internal to the transmission. Have a local transmission expert diagnose your issue. It could be a faulty torque convertor or overdrive band. If it is, be prepared for them to suggest a tranmission rebuild. Once you open a transmission to replace one part, your better off repairing or replacing all the parts. So if money is an issue and you don't like the car, just drive the car up to 3rd gear and start saving for a new car or transmission.

10

I mean putting the vacuum lines back to the way the came with the car factory. Whoever had it before me plugged and re routed some vacuum lines. I did not have the vibration before the vacuum lines were all replaced. The vibration did not start until about 125 miles after the vacuum lines were replaced.

16,045

Are there any vacuum lines going to the transmission? If there is, pull the line and block it off and see if the vibration stops. I am making the assumption this is an automatic transmission? Go to a trusted transmission repair shop, like AAmco for advice. Even stop in to a Chevy dealer and talk to one of the service reps. If this is a common thing, they should have handled it before. Where is the vibration coming from? The drive-line, front end, wheels, steering, or can you tell if it is indeed the transmission and not the motor at a set RPM?

16,045

I forgot, did you recheck your vacuum hoses for proper placement, and any leaks or cracked hose attachments? The hose attachments are cheaply made, and because brittle due to heat and weather conditions, A slight crack will cause some issues. If any attachments had been replaced, are they the correct size for the hoses? I have a 69 Vette that has miles of vacuum lines, and it's sometimes a @#%$#@@& to find a leak.