94 geo prizm running hot

Asked by Jul 31, 2014 at 03:24 PM about the 1994 Geo Prizm

What do I do about my car running
hot?
I have a 94 geo prizm that keeps
running hot. The water pump is good.
I just gutted and put a brand new
thermostat in it. I was told my heads
could be going out to put some block
seal in the radiator so I followed the
instructions on the bottle and its still
running hot. When I first start the car
up it runs perfect for about 5 to 10
miles then starts running real hot so
what do I do?

61,465

Have you checked your oil for any water in it?

Best Answer

Yes and there's no what in it

61,465

If you know water pump is good,and thermostat installed correctly,are fan,s working properly?

I wired both fans to a toggle switch so yes they working fine

61,465

You have done all you can,is there water in your oil,and are you loosing any fluid?At cold start,take cap off,let car heat up,see if you can see the water circulate,if it start,s pushing out of radiator,replace cap,then if it still run,s hot,you have blowed head gasket.

61,465

Repair is simple at this point ,if car run,s smooth no skip,s,just replace head gasket,but if it skip,s then head work will have to be performed.

I checked the car today and there is oil I think in my water. I took cap off and let car idle for about 30 minutes and checked my hoses and the top hose was burning hot while my bottom hose was still cool like nothing was wrong with it. I checked to see if the top hose was surging but it was not. So I think that means I need a new water pump but idk

61,465

Even with bad head should see water pump flow,but if you have oil in water,that is sign of blowed head gasket.

Ok thx