Replacing chassis mounts on a Hyundai Galloper 2001

30

Asked by Feb 15, 2013 at 07:49 AM about the 1999 Hyundai Galloper

How can I replace the 2 front chassis mounts on a Hyundai Galloper 2001 (short wheel base)? I can
access the screw heads and unscrew the nuts of all chassis mounts except for the 2 on the front.

get a longer extension bar with a swivel. What a 14mm?? they have those. You've got to tool up for the job!

30

They have indeed 14mm (9/16" also works) sockets. My problem is that I can't see the screws head from above.

use an extending mirror, they've got them at NAPA-

30

Thanx, I'll try that. Although, I can't feel it with my hands, either. Some of the other screws have an arm fixed below the head that prevents them from turning a whole 360°. But you have to push them down to kind of block them. The two screws on the front turn freely, even with a pneumatic wrench...

toughie. been there myself. one key to removing these screws is to take the load off of them, that is to say if there is the motor's dead weight torquin down...yes will be impossible. have to remove the load, and I don't know if this means prying the engine up, you may want to use a floorjack, but as long as the bolts need to keep grippin' they aren't going to let loose. Give them NO reason to keep holdin on, then remove the tricky bolts- you're a victim of these bolts actually doing their job. take that job away and they will comply-

Why we doin' this? the mount cracked on you?

30

There are 2 mounts that are loose, one of them has the bushing stuck to the screw due to oxidation.

take it over to get welded then, or straight up replacement?

hammer the oxidized bushing off of there and save it for later use (unless a replacement is at hand) then wire brush what's left of it. Back in Wisconsin we used to weld a washer to strengthen comprimized holes in parts, (happens all the time in rustland) if this will help strengthen the comprimized area is a cheap solution.

You didn't use Blaster smelly gooblety-gop that gets on your hands on everything and smells kinda funky, we hope. Tri-flow with teflon is kinda expensive but gets it without the smelly 'penetrant'~

30

The bushing is stuck on the bolt like it was born there. I used a penetrating lubricant then tried to hammer it out from below the vehicle. Nothing happened. Then I used a bottle jack to prie it out of the hole. It came out all right but the bushing was still on it. Then I hammered on it from all sides, put it in a vise and tried to hammer it out, and it just kept laughing at me...

30

I already got a new screw for the job. I think I also have a bronce bushing lying around somewhere

wow. this is a complex assembly. Jeez, it's just a bolt. use your blowtorch to make yourself feel better. those bronze bushings are "sintered" with lubricant built right in. You need these! find it or buy another. Turcite is another 'plastic' bushing we used to use on conveyors back when the packaging machinery business was in my blood, mostly because we did not want any brass shavings in the dog food bagging that went on.

so blowtorch (propane or mapp) the pieces until you feel better then try to separte with gloved hands if this is the way to go about it. How much are new pieces? you could shop online for them?