how long do these cars last? I have a 1996 Galloper, but regularly needs wires replaces, clutch pedal fixed etc.

Asked by Jul 27, 2013 at 09:23 AM about the 1996 Hyundai Galloper

Hi, I bought a 1996 Galloper and love the car. I have recently had to spend a bit on the
AC fans (I live in Middle East where AC is essential!), wiring tends to go when I least
expect it to, even when driving. I am wondering whether to sell it now and buy a more
recent 4x4. It gobbles up fuel which luckily is cheap here, but only does 250km on a tank.
any suggestions?Thanks.

56,835

With proper maintenance and repairs done by a reputable shop along with responsible driving habits most vehicles will last a long time. Your Hyundai is no exception but it is 17 years old. At this point I'd start paying attention to costs and frequency of repairs. If it starts needing more and more repairs or the repairs are becoming more and more expensive then it's time to start shopping for a new vehicle. I bought my 1993 Chevrolet Caprice new in October of '93. In the fall of 2011 I had the intake manifold gasket replaced. Shortly after that the rear view mirror fell off. Right after that the driver's door arm rest/door pull came off in my hand. Then the intake manifold gasket started leaking again. Had that fixed under warranty from the first time it was done. Then the engine developed a valve tap. Because of the valve tap I had to disconnect the knock sensor so it would run correctly. Shortly after that the ignition jammed and I had to pull the coil wire to shut off the engine and disconnect the battery because the ignition was jammed in the "run" position. All this happened between August of 2011 and April of 2012. It was time for a new car. I bought a 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis and I love it. It's everything the Caprice was in it's day. I sold the Caprice to a friend's 18 year old Son for $500.00 and he loves it. He loves working on it and will be getting it painted the original light blue soon. HTH. - Jim