How do you know if your ignition starter switch is going bad?

Asked by May 30, 2010 at 12:33 AM about the 1996 Geo Prizm

165

If you are referring to the switch that you put the key into, mine start to go bad when the key starts getting stuck when either starting the car or removing the key from the ignition. I just unplug the actual electric switch from the bottom of the key switch column and use a screw driver to start the car; the only pitfall is that they key has to remain in the ignition switch in the ACC position so that your steering wheel will turn while driving. After 20,000 miles and 12 months, no one has stolen my car with the key in the ignition switch. LOL It's an extremely common problem; unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, you have to replace the steering column with a used column with a key. It is an easy job, but a steering column can cost up to $150 depending on the seller. I bought another running and driving car to use for parts in the future, but I still strip any 93 to 97 Prizm that I can get parts from for a reasonable price.