my 1999 crown vic will be running fine down the road then it dies i put it in park and it starts right back up and run good untill it does it again

Asked by Mar 28, 2014 at 11:24 AM about the 1999 Ford Crown Victoria

23,345

That's difficult to determine from here. Generally speaking, it sounds like something electronic is warming up, failing and then works again. Ignition coil? Fuel pump? Is the Check Engine light on all the time?

the check engine light never comes on

23,345

Need to do some diagnostics here: Dies while driving - most of the things I can think of won't let the car start back up immediately. Usually, it's a failing fuel pump - but that's an expensive guess. Now if it's dying at stops and restarts right away, that's a different story. That's usually a dirty Throttle Body and/or a Dirty/inoperative IAC valve. (Idle Air Control) Just clean the Throttle Body and IAC.

now it wont start got it running now it runs for about five min and dies and wont restart have to let it sit for hours before it restarts

23,345

In that case, I suspect the fuel pump. Not an easy job on the ground but it can be done. I'd feel better if you could check the fuel pressure. You could try banging on the fuel tank to see if you can jar the pump enough to make it work but that doesn't always work. It's an expensive guess.

30

Change fuel pump relay first