I was told my second timing belt broke%2C i mentioned this to parts store to order it but they asked is it right or left%2F Does anyone know what that means%3F I%27m pretty new 2 this.

Asked by Dec 08, 2011 at 02:45 PM about the 1987 Subaru GL

if anyone has pics or diagrams or any info i'd greatly appreciate it! it's a stationwagon

8,600

Subarus have horizontally opposed "boxer" engines. This means instead of the piston going up and down they move in and out to the sides. So there is a timing set for each bank of cylinders instead of a single chain or belt. Here is a photo of a similar engine http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/vintagefortytwo/Forester/Forester%20XT%20Motor/XTCamDrives.jpg I would just go ahead and install new ones on both sides so you don't have to worry about the other one failing down the road.

That's what i was thinking. They said i needed a waterpump too if 2nd belt went but asked questions about pulley,what kind, push on pulley or not. Had me confused. Thank you so much for replying!

115

I'm pretty sure that the pulley is threaded on. I had to replace mine a couple years ago. You can use a strap or put it in gear with the tires on the ground to get it off. Good luck.