Please help- Ford Bantam

Asked by Oct 25, 2013 at 08:37 AM about the 2007 Ford Bantam

I just bought a '08 Ford Bantam 1.3i as a daily comuter as I work in JHB city centre and do not wish to drive around here with my Toyota Fortuner.I am use to dring a diesel so the petrol thing is a bit new for me.I firstly need to know should the engine rev so high,about 3800rpm while doing just under 120kph,I do not have a heavy foot and averege about 100 -120 kph on a daily bais.It sound as if this engine revs to high.My second concern is that I have filled up the 54l tank and have done just over 300km's so far and the tank is already on the 1\2 way mark,i was expecting way better fuel consumption,do I need to be worried.I have spoken to other Bantam owners and according to them they get close to 500km's on 1\2 a tank

My brother in law has a bantam 1.3 and he drives economically in the morning to work and punishes it all the other times he drives it. He averages about 420 - 500km on a tank of fuel. The gear ratios are short and 3500 - 4000 doing 120 is about normal. So i'd say your bantam is performing average and there is no need for concern. You can improve fuel consumption by having a Unichip fitted by Dastek in Pretoria or any other Dastek agent in your area. Should cost you about R2000 - R3500 and you get a three month 100% money back guarantee if unsatisfied.

Riaan Steyn

I drive a 2010 bantam was also concerned driving 120 at 4000 rpm if I drive 90 kmh to 100 kmh i do 600 km to a tank wich I filled 42L at 585 rand but if I drive 120 I only drive 450 to 500 km to a full tank

yip the high revs on 120 is normal for the 1.3 L the 5th gear ratio is set that way. on 120 your revs should be at about 4200 - 4300 but as far as the 450 to 500 km per tank goes, seem to be heavy on fuel. i used to average 14 to 16 km per 1 liter petrol on a long distance trip with the standard 13 inch wheels and that should give you 600 - 650 odd km on a tank. assuming your bantam is regularly serviced i would say that you could check the following, make sure your wheel alignment and balancing is ok. also have your fuel injectors checked they tend to splatter fuel instead of spraying a fine mist, sometimes a bottle of good injector cleaner to a half tank petrol can make a huge change to your consumption. As far as the high revs go, you could up the profile on your tires next time you due for a new set but im not sure that it would make that big a change , or what i found to work was to change my rims and tires to 14 inch with a 65 profile but not to wide otherwise they will catch the body if you turn. this also brought my revs down to about 3700 to 3800 revs on 120 kmh. And of course the extreme overboard way is to change the gearbox to a 1.6 bantam gearbox, but i hear they do about the same revs as i do with the 14 inch 65 profile wheels. good luck with them bantams.