how do i determine TDC with the camshaft on the ford bantam 1.3i xl 2006,rocam engine,so that i can set the timing correctly?

Asked by Apr 25, 2014 at 07:04 AM about the 2006 Ford Bantam

I am struggling to start my Ford Bantam 1.3i xl 2006 rocam engine,it seems like my timing is not correct and the engine is totally dead , no miss firing

Oh, those Bantams- I wish they'd grow up! Seriously, now, did you mess with the timing? I don't know if your car has a timing belt or a timing chain because I'm stuck in the US and we don't have those here- if it's a chain, then I don't think your problem is timing, because the chain won't slip, and they rarely break on an 8 year old car- if it is a belt, it is possible it could slip- in that case, you will need a shop manual that shows you how to set up the relationship of crank to cam- if you are trying to change a belt OR chain, be careful- if you don't know what you are doing you could bend valves-

Im gonna let you all in to my little secret and save you all loads of time, lots of money and a huge Headache. The workshop manual will tell you to use the mark on the crank timing chain sprocket and that this mark needs to be pointing at 6 o'clock but of coarse this sits behind the oil pump and no one wants to split the engine from the gearbox to drop the sump to pop off the oil pump.( and just so you know once you pop of the oil pump and put it back your crank seal on the oil pump is bound to piss out oil it is designed this way).On of Ford's big after sales money making skeems then comes the shock that the seal is part of the oil pump an (agents only) and that you have to replace the whole pump to solve the oil leak and this at around R 1500 from the agents. But not to worry if this happened and the seal pisses out oil, take the oil pump off, rip out the paper thin crank seal and take the pump and the crank belt pulley of to your local BMG ( bearing man) They stock a standard off the shelve Old school crank seal that fits in the pumps housing and snug around the pulley shaft that will outlast the standard crank seal a thousand times.( Up yours Ford ). Right, now that I saved you all about 2 days and just under R 2000. There is 2 TDC marks visible without taking off the oil pump. the first one sits on the rim of the the back wall of the crank belt pulley it is a little slot and this has to line up with a very visible line on the oil pump's housing situated at about 2 o'clock. The other one can be found on the crank shaft itself, just pop off the crank belt pulley and look inside there is a slot on the on side of the crank this is also lined up with the workshop manuals timing sprocket mark and should be pointing to 6 o'clock. either way both these methods are cylinder 1 TDC, you can check it yourself by removing cylinder 1 spark plug and by placing a thin long screwdriver in the spark plug hole. Have someone slowly turn the engine with the 19 socket or spanner. Now my bank account no for all the money i saved all of you. LOL . just kidding. good luck with those Bantams and once again>>>>> ( Up yours FORD )