remove brake drum

10

Asked by Jul 08, 2012 at 07:27 AM about the 2006 Ford Bantam

Brake drum is stuck. there are no countersunk screws holding it.

210,495

Make sure the parking brake is not on. Sometimes rust will hold it on or the shoes. Take a rubber mallet or hammer and bang around the edges to break it free. If not, then you'll have to get a screwdriver into the back of the drum to turn and release the tension on the star wheel for the parking brake. Wiggle the drum back and forth while gripping the edges and it should come off.

10

Started off with all the usual tricks, tapping with a soft mallet, then a solid 2 lb hammer, then so far as to smack it with a 4 lb hammer & it does not move a micron. There are no counter sink screws that hold these in place. Tried hitting it flat in-between the studs on the face, & still no luck. I hit it really hard. Drilled a 12 mm hole in the "dust cover" to try to hit it from behind with a flat punch & the same 4 lb hammer, but still no luck. It is as if this is welded into place. Normally, if the brake shoes are holding it due to excessive "grove" wear to the drum, there would be movement. Both sides, left & right are rock solid. Thinking of breaking them off and fitting new ones if , some clever person doesn't come up with a solution. HELP!

1,305

Only other way hammer it back on open bleed screw to slave cylinder remove bolts that hold cyl. Make sure the adjuster is for sure backed off and try again. Maybe spray crc behind aswell. Just work it back and forth it will come free