Is my altenator busy saying goodbye ?

Asked by Oct 14, 2013 at 01:56 PM about the 2004 Ford Bantam

Hi guys, My battery service light came on about a week ago, on low revs it stays on..above 2000rpm it goes off. Now the battery is completely dead ! Does my altenator need repair..bushes or something ? Or should i look for a short somewhere ? New battery, all looks good, makes proper contact everywhere.
Thank You

68,745

Sounds like it's time for a new alternator. When the red "battery" light comes on it usually means that your alternator has stopped working or is over charging the battery. In either case 99% of the time it's the alternator that has failed. HTH. -Jim

Hello Jim, thank you for your feedback. I phoned a few places this morning, i have to buy a sealed unit..and they are pricy. It might also be the Regulator that has blown..so i'll take it in and get it tested. Hopefully it is the regulator.

68,745

You're welcome. Glad to help. - Jim