What causes my brakes to shudder when I push the pedal to brake

Asked by Jul 15, 2013 at 02:30 PM about the 2001 Ford Bantam

I have had to replace my front wheel bearings twice within 2 months and since then the front left brake shudders badly when the brake pedal is pressed. Could the brake discs be damaged in any way.

10

Have your front brake rotors (discs) checked. If they become just a little warped from heat it will cause the pedal to pulse. Brake rotors are easy to replace and should be less expensive than having the wheel bearings replaced (labor cost).

24,245

I suggest you have the entire front suspension inspected. Warped front brake rotors are the most common cause shudder while braking but there are other things that can wear out and contribute to the concern. Because 100% of the power, steering and 80% of the braking are at the front wheels, check struts, lower Ball Joints, control arm bushings, steering rack and inner and outer tie rods. CV joints wear out too but don't usually contribute to a shudder. Don't forget to check the operation of the rear brakes too. If they don't work properly, that's 100% of the braking to the front causing overheating and warped rotors. Have the vehicle hoisted and evaluated.

10

I have the same problem, but do not know any reputable service shop that can help.... 4 times in 80 000 km's... I am from the west of pta...