hi, i am buying a toyota estima lucida 2.2td 1996 need help

Asked by Feb 02, 2009 at 08:27 AM about the 1996 Toyota Estima

i know these cars are prone to cracked heads and although the guy assures me it doesnt over heat and the head is probably fine at the moment what can i look for signs of trouble and what can i do to prevent future problems after purchase.i also asked the guy if he let the car run on after stopping to let the turbo cool and he didnt know that he needed to so how can i check the turbo is ok.

5

we have two lucidas one o.k. at present but the other a 1995, has head problems that cost money. however, the 1997 tows our 28' caravan with ease and could not recommend it higher, it is a wonderful motor love it ti bits, so practical but they do not over heat just use a lot of water if there is a cracked head, if you are not sure and there is a problem get a comprsion test done by someone you can trust as there are few you can that are able to do it right without trying to see you off---good luck mate

45

they are no worse than other cars on the road it's just bad press ! i currently own two a 95 and a 96 both fine the only thing to do is check service history if you can and look in the water bottle black murky water is probably time for concern other than that if you run it to normal temp and then park up for a few minutes and watch the exhaust for excess steamy looking smoke ! in all i've owned 6 and changed the head on 1 .