car running very rich

25

Asked by Feb 20, 2009 at 08:02 PM about the 1998 Eagle Talon

ive got a 98 talon tsi that is runnin way way rich. my carbon levels r out of the roof!! i cant pass emissions. i have changed the tps and it helped a little bit and i have now changed the throttle body but im still losing alot of gas im gunna change the cat soon any other ideas of what the problem could be? also there was no code thrown for the o2 sensors. there were two codes, tps and a fuel trim problem. please let me know if you have any suggestions.
Thx

65

could be that it's an eagle talon..........

if you say its running rich just adjust the carburetor so that it doesnt combine as much fuel in the cylinder per stroke and it should help a little bit, just remember that it might sound a bit different and have increased or lowered revs, dont change it too much but you should be able to see a difference, if not id just ask a mechanic for their opinion

70

im sorry but you got to be kidding about the carb right

Try the o2 sensor, no code doesn't mean it is working properly, it just means that it is still in spec.

25

yea i have changed the o2's, cat, egr, throttle body, tps, im about to change the fuel regulator, n take out the charcoal canister

65

you can also lean the mix with the regulator as well to reduce the dumping. Another thing that could do the trick is snatch mass airflow sensor from a 96-99 chrysler sebring Which is a v-6 and swap out your for that. The ECU will notice a different (larger) volume of air and go into a drive cycle mode. Drive the car around for this reason so the ECU can make the natural adjustment to the MAP and that will allow you to burn cleaner and grab more power at the same time. I have done this to my 96 Eclipse GSX 2.0 4G63.

5

could be airflow meter also....

10

is your talon modified in any way if so what mods? what were the specific DTC's?