1989 Olds Cutlas 2.8 ltr. doesn't want to idle when starting it after running an errand.

75

Asked by Apr 20, 2014 at 01:20 PM about the 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera

Help Please! My 1989 Olds Cutlas 2.8 ltr. doesn't want to idle when starting it after
running an errand. A month ago it would die suddenly so the mechanic did a scan and
got prom id 2271 and a code 51. There weren't any other codes. I replaced the ecm
and prom chip, the IAC, TPS, TSS (speedo would suddenly drop to zero and the car
ran odd then) TCC solenoid is newer. The fuel pump and filter are fresh. I run premium
gas from Chevron. Plugs, wires, ignition control module has a couple thousand miles.  
I am at my wits end. Thank you for the help!

75

The sensors did need replaced and the computer was bad, but what turned out to be the real problem was that the screws holding the choke/throttle plate on had come lose. This caused the sensors attached to that bar to think that they were closed farther than the the throttle plate was which restricted the fuel and other idling issues.