1989 oldsmobile cutlass ciera will try to start but will not run.

Asked by Mar 08, 2014 at 04:17 PM about the 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera

changed fuel filter, fuel pump, and fuel pump relay. The engine will try to start but will not
run also doing this before i changed parts did not fix the problem. The engine did start one
time but run rough,  I'm lost do not know what to do!!

30

We have a 1990 Cutlass Siera and it does the same thing and we replaced the same parts. I f you let it sit for a while it will start up and will rev up, but after about 1-2 minutes is bogs and dies. I checked the ohmage of the fuel injectors. Each one was approx 12 ohms, but one (front left) was 3.9 ohms. Think it might be bad. Let me know if you find out anything

65

How do I check the ohms on them? Thank you.

30

There is a connection on top of each injector. You can pull the plug off (it has a release that you squeeze) and basically use your ohmmeter to measure across the two pins. Check out Youtube for video. My problem actually was fixed by moving wires under the dash by the computer. It was found by the tow truck driver that was going to tow it to the mechanic. Imagine that!

i had two injectors check bad. researched little further the injectors are wired in series so only one is bad the car will not start.

65

I ended up having to change the prom chip and the computer. It has been running since. Thanks for offering suggestions.