What do I do about my lights flickering ?

15

Asked by Nov 18, 2013 at 07:33 PM about the 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera

I tried the wirebrush treatment on the ground wire to no avail. When I started the car I let it
run for about 5 minutes before I noticed the idle going up and down. Not to the point of
stalling and not excessively high either, but noticeable. I heard a kind of howling sound
from the area of the alternator. I have had my battery and alternator checked since this
light flickering and ECL  started coming on. Where do I go from here?

...well I'm going to suspect an alternator that is defective....put a multi-meter on the output to make sure that is putting out 14.5 to 17 volts DC~....also because the CEL comes on there will be diagnostic codes associated and will be able to replace the bad parts (once we know what they are)~

you can reset the trouble codes...assuming there are 12 reliable volts there~

70,255

Sounds like a tired alternator. I'd replace it. HTH. - Jim