Ciera 4.3 ltr diesel trans slips and won't go into 3rd gear

Asked by Oct 15, 2013 at 01:40 AM about the 1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera

My 1983 Ciera with the 4.3 ltr diesel slips when taking off, once fully engaged after
taking off it works fine, only on take off does it seem to slip feels like it is grabbing and
letting off until car is moving then engages fully. Reverse requires a lot of gas just to
move a little. Now the main question what could cause it to keep from going into 3rd
gear? Not sure what the transmission is but I can find out if anyone tells me where to
look. Any help greatly appreciated.

Also the previous owner said he recently had a new torque converter installed on it a couple to few years ago...

maybe needs a new filter and transmission fluid?