How to remove drivers side electric window lift motor

50

Asked by Oct 04, 2014 at 08:19 PM about the 2000 Ford Windstar

The window stopped working in the up (closed) position.  I know there is a lot of pressure on the lift arms, and they must be locked into position, but I don't know how to do it.  Any step by step clues?

70,305

Remove door panel,unplug and remove window switch and door latch,wedge window with wedge block where it will not drop,by placing wedge at bottom of window and door flange,then peel back plastic cover behind door panel,you will see three rivot,s that will have to be drill out,unplug motor wire,s and replace with new motor,with bolt,s,,then rehook wire to motor,and replace all in reverse.

50

Thank you very much. Great answer

50

T_S_T Wedged the window, drilled out rivets, but cannot disengage motor from the gear. Will I have to remove the regulator first?

70,305

Should not have to,may need to take wedge loose,and let window drop a little to unbind it from the gear.

60

Hello, I am having a similar problem. I can't get the motor out. Removed all 3 attachment point. The entire motor housing will pivot and the window moves up/down as I do that. Do I need to get nasty with it? Which way should the motor move? Should it slide towards the front of the vehicle, towards the outside of the door? Please help :)

110

NO NO NO....Do NOT drill out the RIVOTS!!!! You only have to drill out the "Dimples"!!!... On my '01 Windstar there are 2, small dimples punched into the interior sheet metal door panel. See T_S_T's drawing above where the arrows are pointing, notice they are NOT pointing at the rivots but at very small center-punched "dimples" in the door panel. Mine only had 2, the extreme upper and lower, the middle rivot on my Windstar was a bolt. Anyway, you need to drill 1/2" holes where these dimples are so you can get a socket thru them to remove the bolts that hold the motor assembly to the regulator. You do NOT need to remove the regulator, if you do, you risk injuring yourself with that stupid counterbalance spring.

120

How do I remove the window from the window regulator? I see where it's attached but does not look like a bolt and I can't unscrew it. Thanks, Mike

35

how do I remove the power window switch on my 2001 ford windstar minivan

After you drill out the dimples& get screws or whatever out, you need a 4mm star sock to turn the bolt you just took the nut off of. THAT'S THE TRICK! At least for the 03 Windstar. Once I started loosening that, there was a small popping sound then I was to wiggle it & the removed it out of the speaker hole, cause I was trying to get a better look inside & undid that too.