2000 Ford Taurus won't start

30

Asked by Jan 18, 2013 at 12:48 PM about the 2000 Ford Taurus

My husband has been trying to get my grandma's car to start and nothing has worked so far.  He's changed all of the following items and they DID need changed:  battery, spark plugs and wires, fuel pump and starter.  Next on the list to try is the #4 coil.  The old plugs were super black and gapped wrong and even after he put new ones in and tried starting the car, the new plugs turned black already.  I've heard him mention that the car needs to be taken out on the highway and driven faster than an old lady would drive it in order to blow the carbs out.  But we need to get it started first.  Any suggestions?  Grandma is very upset thinking he did something because "it ran fine before he took it"  The only time he drove it was to bring it to our house.  He hasn't been able to get it started since, so I feel there clearly were problems before we got it.  Please help!

"Blow the carbs out"? What does that mean? It does not have a carburetor if that's what he means, it does not need to be driven at 70mph ever to keep it functional, it does need to be driven to keep it lubricated among other things, but normal 'in town' driving will do, they used to say "take it out and blow out the gunk" for old, muscle cars, which this is certainly not. What leads you to believe there is something with the #4 coil? And the spark plugs turned black after attempting to start it and it didn't? Start that is?

That car has a 3.0 Liter V6, a very good engine, i did some research to see what might be going on. One thing that comes to mind, is sometimes for reasons unknown to me, older people will not keep gas in it. They drive it until the warning light flashes, then put in $10. If that is the case, condensation may have gotten water in the tank, Just a thought, there are a multitude of things...does it get spark at all? Is that why he is thinking coil?

30

Haha, I kind of thought that was funny that he said that about the carbs also. I didn't think it had a carburetor. He is no mechanic by any means, but he knows more than most non-mechanics. He also thought about water in the tank and has put some Heet in it. As for the coil issue, I do believe I heard him say that it wasn't getting any spark. I guess my main purpose for asking is in hopes that someone can confirm that there was some kind of issue with this car before we got it, since my Grandma seems to think it was fine and dandy before we took it. I also forgot to mention that she has been sick and the car sat for about 4 weeks undriven before we took it. I also don't think that she is one that would let the gas go to almost empty before filling it. As she has mentioned to me many times, she has picked up a few things by working for three dealerships in the past and had two brothers in the repair business.

Sitting parked for a month can cause a lot of problems. Since that's the case, Grandma does not know that it was 'just fine" she thinks so, and you are not going to convince her otherwise