oil consumption

Asked by Nov 27, 2007 at 10:48 PM about the 1991 Dodge Colt

91 colt vista uses a qt every fillup or sooner. doesnt seem to be burning it and the drops on the floor dont seem to match the consuption? any ideas? quonsetguy

14,675

There are only 4 major ways an automobile engine can loose oil. 1. General Consumption The most likely possibility that your piston rings or valve seals need replacing based on year of vehicle. 2. Exterior Leakage (on the garage floor - drip, drip, drip) This is the most obvious to see with your own eyes. 3. Exterior Leakage (onto hot engine components like exhaust manifold and burning off) You will either smell burnt oil through the cabin vents or while standing in front of the vehicle after its been turned off. 4. Interior Leakage (cracked block or gasket and leaking into the coolant) This will turn the coolant a milky consistency and it will no longer be see through.