1992 Dodge Stealth non-turbo

Asked by Sep 02, 2009 at 10:46 AM about the 1992 Dodge Stealth

Sometimes will crank and not start.  Acts like grounded out.  This has been intermitten for 12-15 mos.  Now, while driving engine shuts off immediately.  (Like I turned key off)  Will not restart unless you wait 2-5 minutes....clicking noise under mid dash like something resetting, then it restarts.  Also, sometimes after restart engine runs only few seconds before stopping immediately.  No known fuel problem, and it does not act like fuel.     Then, as now, after several starts and shutoffs, (and frustration) it will run a week or two maybe a month without any problem.
I have had to three shops...all say computer connection check shows nothing.  Please, any ideas?   Current shop states engine is acting normally, but they suspect vehicle computer??????
Thanks, please reply e-mail to DWBSR77@HotMail.com    Your consideration is greatly appreciate.   This issue has baffeled at least 8 pretty good professionals.

55

Most likely it is the computer... Mine did the same thing and I spent almost $500 on parts until if found out what it was... The capacitors on the main bord in the computer leak fluid.... They manufactured it with cheep ones.... when the bord heats up from use (normal) the fluid evaporates and all thats left behind is similar to salt... and that corrodes the board... take your board out and take a look... just dont fry it with static electricity... You might be able to replace the caps for about $20... otherwise you will have to replace the board... on mine 91 rt/tt its $250 http://stealth316.com/2-ecmremoval.htm That should be all you need

55

It has to be the caps in the ECU on the 1st gen models mitsubishi installed cheap caps in them that over time slowly leak and eat away at the board. If you let it go to far not only will you have to replace the caps but have the board repaired.

65

I agree. Have the capacitators replaced on the ECU. You may notice it happen more frequently when it's rainy or very humid, and when it's very hot weather. Most people will recommend sending it off to be "rebuilt", to the tune of $225 more or less, but unless they have the sophisticated equipment to actually bench test it (most do NOT!), it's a ripoff. I took mine to a local electronics repair shop, a place that actually works on TV's and repairs electronics, had them replace the caps there. He replaced all three of them, cleaned up the channels between the circuits a bit, and tested it for continuity. Cost me about $30, and he was able to do it while I waited. Popped it back in, and the car has been good as new ever since. You only need to actually replace it if the ECU is physically damaged from the leaking caps or burnt out. It's a cheap enough fix, that even if it doesn't solve the problem, it's well worth a shot.

10

Go check out this link. http://www.3si.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_Replace_the_Capacitors_in_a_1G_ECU%3F

5

Google "click click start" fix. Could also be that... But with a 92, more than likely the ECU.

30

I just bought my Stealth R/T '91; I've been dealing with this since about the second week. Where do I find this computer, is it under the front seat/s or back or in the engine compartment? We have thought it was relays, because we could hear on resetting its self on the passenger side of the center console to no avail.

55

not sure if your familiar with the 3si forum but id read through this thread as it sounds like its your problem. This has happened to a lot of 3S's. Hope it helps! http://www.3si.org/forum/f1/100-guaranteed-click-click-start-fix-part-2-a-241359/

10

I had this issue and it ended up being a simple alternator fuse that had blown. The fuse is located in the fuse box that is under the hood and it requires two screwdriver bolts to be loosened in order to change it. The fuse itself was only a few dollars though yet it allowed me to save hundreds of dollars in replacing the alternator, which was going to be my next step.