What is the torque for rear wheel hub center nub

90

Asked by Nov 09, 2008 at 10:53 AM about the 2000 Ford Focus

90

center nut... sorry

90

also... it is the center nut on the drum not hub.

7,905

Are you talking about the spindle nut? I'm not sure but I believe it's something like 280 ft-lb, but I would check a repair manual or something because I'm not positive if we're even talking about the same thing. If you're just doing the brakes it's easier to get the four small bolts on the back side of the assembly... They get toqued to about 50 ft-lb if memory serves.

90

Yes it is the spindle nut. I was concerned I tighten it too much because the new drum is not spinning as well. I don't think I torque it over 280 and I did not change the brake shoes. I am thinking the new drum may be a little smaller or it needs broken in.

7,905

Did you separate the little cam on the adjuster and place the shoes as close together as possible prior to install? You set the shoes inward and then they will set themselves during operation... Make sure to pump the brakes several times before before driving the car... Let me see if I can't find a walk through somewhere online...

7,905

God it's bad when the only thing I found comes from a site called focus hacks... http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=48

90

Thanks for the reply and website and no I did not know to adjust the brakes. I figured since I was not replacing the shoes it would fit okay. Next time I will do more homework or buy a repair manual. Thanks again... Mike

90

One more question. In you focus hack link they remove the 4 spindle bolts behind the wheel. Why not just remove the single center spindle nut in front to take off the drum? Mike

7,905

Same reason I recommend it... Many torque wrenches are not accurate at that level, and it's a heck of a lot easier to get off the four small bolts (Although they do like to strip out, so don't use cheap sockets on 'em). However if you are replacing the drum you need to take off the spindle nut instead since you need to reuse the spindle assembly...

155

330-332 Newton Metres

10

The spindle was frozen to the hub on the one in our class. I think the bearing might break if too much force is used.

135

check repair manual or online data base, since its a locking nut and a fairly light car 30 foot pounds sound be ok, mine are about that 89 thousand on em

no its a hub on an st , hence the comments, homework?

100 foot pounds.

10

Adam, Got any info on how to change the rear spindle bearings?

it would be better to just replace the spindle,buy the time you take it off the bearing has to be pressed out new one pressed in,labor cost plus bearing cost,you would spend about the same.