why dont i have brakelights?

Asked by Mar 05, 2007 at 04:07 PM about the 1993 Dodge Dakota

i have all lights but when i step on my brakes there is no brake lights also my abs and parking brake light is on in my dash

First check your fuses. It could be a blown fuse. Check the following. Do the rear blinkers work? Do the rear lights work when you are not braking? If anything else is lighting up in the rear then it's not a fuse, its faulty/bad wiring.

60

i am having the same exact problem. have you found out the cause yet??

85

check the wiring at the back lights its up on the frame and it just starts eating away also if you have a trailer hitch on it check the plug ins mine had that problem but i took out the hitch and cleaned up the wiring and it works.

sounds like your break light switch is bad,as for the other lights the rear breaksare worn or need adjusting.

30

i have the same problem with my 93 dak all lights work . butt the brake lights r&rbrake switch and nothing changed. allso cruse control modual is cliking when i push on the switch button with my finger.

1,385

check the wires that lead into the bulb in the taillight. they could have a short. happened to me and my 95 Dakota. a little electrical tape and a heat gun solved it.

30

Yo Itz the plunge thing behind the brake pedal

230

Same problem all of a sudden brake lights don't work and turn signals don't work this happened before and it was the hazard flasher relay but I took out worked perfect now they don't I have been having trouble getting my lights to go off got to have it in right spot so all light and running lights go off my rpm gauge all of a sudden started working as soon as my brake lights and turn signals quit any answers

10

I was told by the salvage yard guys when I purchased the signal/ brake light relay box to replace my burnt out one that the trailer wiring for the trailer hookup is likely where the problem is.

70

I have the same issue. I removed the harness that goes to the trailer plug to eliminate that as the issue. It did not fix the problem. Tonight I swapped out the brake switch (switch with plunger that touches the brake pedal) and that did not fix the problem. I have tail lights and reverse lights but no brake lights. I'll look more closely at the stock wiring to the bulb tomorrow.

U need to unplug ur lights from the harness in the back and test the wires to see if power is getting to the plug and isn't not a short where the bub goes

U ever find out what it was..? Same issue .

Same issue

i have the same problem, everything else works except brake lights...the switch has six wires at the connector and I find no reference as to what they are are...there is some confusion about the term "short" refers to the hot wires touching ground, which would blow the fuse. The term is "open" no continuity from the source to its destination...I used my ohm meter on the contacts of the switch, with the plunger out the circuit has continuity and when depressed open...which suggests the switch is operational. Yet there are four other contacts, the cruise control would be a likely destination for one or two of them, what about the other two or three wires??? When I google 93 Dakota I get ram 1500 results, 2001 year...