Body lift kits?

5

Asked by Sep 25, 2008 at 07:45 AM about the 1994 Dodge Dakota

ive got a 94 dakota sport with an ext. cab and its in great shape. but its kinda small for me. im looking into jacking it up a little bit but i dont wanna blow all my money on it. theres a local shop that will jack my truck up 6 inches for $1500, but ive also found a 3 inch body lift kit on autopartsdeal.com that cost only $100 and a body lift spacer kit for only $15 that clames to raise andother 3 inches.(+ installation costs) do i need both to raise my truck body 3 inches or can i get both and get 6 inches higher?  or is there another way??  thanks.

660

Body lifts are usually a huge PITA. Plus, that don't realy do that much for you. I would suggest putting on the biggest set of tires you can and trying that for awhile. That will look much better and perform like it should. I guess if you really can't spend the money, I would seriously suggest not doing anyting at all. But, finally, if you do really want a body lift, do not go more than 2".

75

raising the body 6" off the frame is going to be a bigger pain than you think, not to mention a bad idea. 3" BLs are about the max you want to go and there is more to them than just lifting the body. You'll have to figure out a way to lower your radiator to stay inline with the fan on the motor, you'll need to extend the brake lines, steering shaft, plus any wiring going from the frame to the body and adjust your shifters for your tranny and t-case. I would put the money into a lift kit instead. You might have to invent in some new driveshafts as the angles, heights, and lengths will change but it is much easier and safter.

i agree with ya. if he wants a cheap lift then he could buy a pack of hocky pucks. thats if he knows what hes doing.

could go for a suspension leveling lift kit and then put bigger tires. Im doing that to my Dakota and its gunna raise the front a little more than 5 inches and the back about 2.5 inches