Is it OK to drive with the transmission a little low?

Asked by Aug 19, 2015 at 09:43 AM about the 1994 Dodge Caravan

My automatic transmission developed a rather severe leak yesterday. The fluid drips out
quite rapidly after I add it, but apparently the leak is high enough that it stops dripping
when the dipstick reads at the "add" level. Of course I'll be taking it to a repair shop, but I
need to run a few in town errands and it's shifting nicely and not slipping. Can it be
harmful to drive a transmission that is low to the "add" level?

21,995

Maybe- roll the dice, take your chances

If it doesn't slip while driving on hard acceleration then it will be fine. If it starts to slip then immediately add fluid.