Hi!..is it proper for the transmission right after the oil mixes with water to be damage?

Asked by Aug 05, 2012 at 07:38 AM about the 2008 Chevrolet Epica

The problem after they did the repair is that it is not shifting the gear while we test the car. The
mechanic advice me to replace a new transmission box. It is costly to me.  I need your opinion with my
problems. Thank you

264,185

So coolant mixed with the transmission fluid via the radiator? If that happens and you catch it right as it starts to happen, you might get away with not replacing. What I would do to save some money is flush the transmisison fluid at least once, maybe twice to get all the water out. If that works then you can avoid the expense of replacing the transmission. If it doesn't help, you will have to replace, the reason being is that maybe only the clutches or valve body is compromised, but if your paying the labor and expense to open it up, you always want to perform a rebuild or replacement at that time. So flush the fuild first, which is cheap, then if still doesn't shift or slips, talk to someone to have a rebuild vs a replacement, this might be half the cost. Good Luck!

3,245

if oil and water mixes in the engine it has nothing to do with the tranny.