fuel pump fuse keeps blowing traced wire to fuel pump and fuses changed will run few min then cut off because fuel pump fuse blows

Asked by Sep 11, 2012 at 07:16 AM about the 1995 Dodge Neon

34,335

Get a wiring diagram for the car but sounds like the pump may have a short in it. As the pump warms the brass expands causing the shortage to make contact popping the fuse. Get a wiring diagram and check what the fuse gives power to. If its just the pump then you need to test the resistance of the pump both hot and cold. If it changes significantly then suspect the pump.

1,705

I agree with John... Sounds a lot like the fuel pump is on its way out.

I just found my problem, it was the wire that goes to the fog light, it was shorting out by touching the frame of the car.so I suggest that you make sure ALL the lights on the vehicle are working, if the one light that dose not work check that wire carefully. hope this helps. I suggest unplugging the alternator and start the car and see if it stops blowing fuses if it does the wire short is the problem.