gas gage

25

Asked by Oct 27, 2007 at 06:56 PM about the 1995 Dodge Dakota

my gas gage dropped to empty last night even though I know i had 3/4ths tank. it was raining a little so i assumed something got wet. well it is nice and dry today but it still does not work. there is gas in it. what do you think i should try

42,955

Sounds like the fuel sending unit has packed it in. You will have to drop the tank to check the wiring, etc. but this is typically the problem. There is a chance your gas gauge has died, this can be purchased separately from other dash components but I would suspect the sending unit first.

195

I would try replacing the instrament cluster first there were alot of issues with them in 95 and 96. You should be able to pick up a used for a good price.

i got the same thing on the same truck. my truck runs fine. mine has a bad float because on a half a tank the needle would bearly move. its a $1000 repair so i left it alone.

what if the gas gage come back on after u shut it off and turn it on I had went thow a mud hole then it started I was thank it was a wire

I had a problem with my 95 Dakota gas gauge. At first I thought it was the tank sensor but after changing it, no difference. I took apart the dash and could find nothing wrong. I found some loose grounds and that still didn't fix the problem. So I began to look for electrical problems in the wires. On the 95 Dakota, the brake light has a middle brake light in the tail gate. That electrical connection over time would get caught between the body and the tail gate and crack the outer casing so that the connection became exposed. Every time that I would press the brakes the connection would begin to get hot and melt the wires in the harness that goes to the brake lights. Those wires run through the same harness as the gas gauge. Over time the wires began to melt the coating on all the wires in the harness. So sometime the gas gauge would work and some times not. I found the problem right where the wires for the gas tank leave the harness and head toward the gas tank. I disconnected the rear middle brake light, and then I repaired the wires in the harness and now my gas gauge works fine. Don't know if this is your problem but it's worth a look.