Intermintant ignition shut down

Asked by Apr 18, 2014 at 08:55 PM about the 1996 Dodge Ram Van

This is a 1996 2500 with a 318.
After warm up and driving a short distance It acts like you are turning the key off and on.
I've tried that and you can't do it that fast to duplicate the problem.
It has a rough jerking action but not like just a cylinder misfire.
It has less than 50,000 miles and it runs great except when doing what I described.
When I've had it doing this I can put my foot down and It charges hard with no problem.
It does it at a cruising speed with lite peddle application.
It has a new fuel pump, wires, cap and rotor. Also has new coil, crank and cam sensors. This thing is driving me nuts.  Any ideas ?

1,085

Your ignition control module has a short. check all the wiring to and from the coil to the icm.

I'll check it out. Is this computer it's self ?

1,085

another thing you can try is to unhook the battery, then unplug the icm for 30 minutes. then after you let the computer reset then hook back up the icm and battery. those are the 2 simple ways to tell what is wrong. if it still has issues then let me know

I'll be on it first thing in the morning. Thanks

Ok, I finally got to road test after doing as you said. It's still the same. My problem is also getting parts. I live about 600 miles down into Baja. I would like to talk with you by phone if possible. I have a satellite connection that I can make Skype calls. You can't call me but I could call you. Thanks for your help, Skip

Still looking for an answer.

What happened to you magnum350 ? I was hoping for a little more help.

1,085

im here sorry about that.

OK great, I reset the computer and it's still the same. Like I said, I am deep down in Baja and getting parts can be tough. The cost of getting the computer is about three times the cost. I don't mind if it fixes the problem. I will be coming back to the states in about two months but breaking down on the way back would not be good.

I was hoping to hear more from you. You are the only one to respond to my problem.

It's the ignition Module!!! In some cases it is located within the Computer. I had almost all of those problems with my 1985 Dodge B350 with a 360 in it, and it was located on the firewall along with the Ballast Resistor. I changed the ignition Module and the Ballast Resistor and that fixed the problem. In my 1989 Dodge B250 with a 318 the Ignition Module is located with the computer.