my A/C compressor is making alot of noise i have already replaced it once and i have no idea what is wrong it makes a grinding noise all the time....

Asked by Jul 31, 2009 at 12:22 AM about the 1996 Dodge Intrepid

its made my car sound like an old beater and i hate it... its a 96 with only 136k miles. i have tryed lubing all the pullies and still its the same loudness and everything

Are you sure it is the A/C Compressor, my car made a similar noise to the one you described, but the serpentine belt was the problem. The Intrepid has two serpentine belts I think. Just a thought.

no when i replaced the compressor i had it out for about a week and it didnt make a noise but i had no a/c thats a problem when it gets to 100 most days.... althought i only put in a replacement and not a brand new one that could be the problem also. but unlike this one my original one made a LOUD sqeel so its better then that

When you replaced the ac compressor was that the only thing you changed? When you change the compressor it is best to change out the whole assembly. That includes the clutch which could be worn out and actually be the cause of that nosie. I had a similar issue where my tensioner for the power steering pump was worn out and was making a veering noise at all speeds and got louder when accelerating. Here is a link to ebay which sells the best quality ac kits, for reasonable price, at least when compared to buying from the dealership. They are crooks big time. also and wholesalemopar parts are good sited to get certain parts for instead of the dealer. I am also having issues with my Ac compressor or maybe something else on the assembly itself so I am replacing the whole thing to be save and to save money by doing it right the first time.

40 Sorry thats the link there for the compressor assembly