96 Grand Caravan going into Limp Mode after highway driving

Asked by Aug 04, 2015 at 12:52 PM about the 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan

The past two days, after travelling about 30 miles at highway speeds, the van will make a noticeable clunk/shudder at a stop light and go into Limp Mode.  The van was shifting and driving fine the entire day before the highway travel and worked again after resting overnight.  My transmission was rebuilt about 30k miles ago after going into limp mode on a long trip (requiring an extra long trip home)!  Any suggestions before I send it to the shop?

120

Hey wats up I recently had a dodge caravan do this it is the transmission either input sensor or output sensor I bet it doesn't tell you how fast your going either I thought it was junk and drove it like that for a week then decided to swap it out by then 2nd gear had burnt out and made a horrible clunk between 1 and 2 my suggestion is go to auto zone have them read your codes and replace one if not both autozones codes may say input or output be sure to inspect the wires they are both on the front of the transmission and see if that's it if it goes in limp mode after that it's probably not worth fixing

thats the way i was leaning. today it slipped into limp mode and after driving home it was spitting trans fluid out the dipstick hole so im afraid its burning out 2nd.

120

Also try dropping the pan to flush the tray and replace the filter it may also be over filled it sound like I guess unless u were really pushing the speed on that thing over like 20 is to fast in second lol but just buy a high milage car they are cheap and usually got to be high milage because they were taking care of had that same problem then bought a 05 with 220k for 500 way nicer don't waste the money on a tray rebuild cuz something else is going soon it's 20 years old and I'm sure you have the same amount of rust I did and the worst shocks lol