how to change rear axel from four lug to five lug

Asked by Sep 17, 2011 at 10:18 PM about the 1980 Ford Fairmont

whould it be better to change the whole rearend or can I just change the axels to go from the four studs to five studs for a wider rear tire

You can just change the axles - look for articles on the internet for 7.5" rear axle changes in a Mustang. Same rear end as the Fairmont.

would be easer to replace the rearend.

Not sure I agree. The amount of work to remove the suspension and brakes take a lot of time.

I seen many people swap out the axle shafts borrowed from a couple Ford Rangers, etc. But if your looking to put some power to the ground, I would just swap out out the all of it to an 8.8. I did this and I even picked an 8.8 with rear disc brakes. Took me a total of 4 hrs to do the swap, or 1.5 hrs for just pulling the old rearend and swapping with the new. Its easy !