v8 conversion

Asked by Dec 07, 2010 at 12:08 AM about the 1979 Ford Fairmont

I just picked up a z7 with a I6 in it, I have a 351w to put in it but am unclear about the K-member, I have been told that a k-member out of a mustang will not work, Is this true? I have also been told that I can modify the I6 k-member to work but cant find info to do this. Also will a mustang v8 cross member work?  Any and all help would be greatly welcomed.

265

Im currently in a V8 EFI swap and the I6 k-member will work. You just have to 1987-1994 Ford F-150 302 motor mounts and the V8 will swap perfectly. I will post pics later about some simply mods that you will need to do. But the answer is yes the K-member out of a fox body mustang will work too. I just think it is easier to buy motor mounts.

265

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3835352/1981-ford-fairmont Here is the link to my cardomain and I have the whole tear down and rebuild of my project on there with tons of pics I hope I have helped

165

Ah yes ! I am the guy made the I6 K-member with a V-8 swap work. I can help you out if you need it....feel free to ask away . My web site with all the info on this swap.....http://fast-fairmonts.weebly.com/index.html I also have more info and pic's if you dont find what you need there. Yes the I6 K-member will work, any Fox Chassis 4 cyl. and V-8 K- members will work as well. Just need to make sure you have v-8 coil springs. The mods to the I6 K-member is simple. I did this swap way back around '88 and have help many people with this swap.

if you buy a upr k-member ther is alot of clearence in the mounting brackets to bolt up the k-member.i bought a race cars by halls k-member. the craftsmenship is top of the line.ive been looking for along time and extremil happy

165

I too have a tubular k-member in my current Futura. Mine is QA1 complete kit, a-arms, adjustable coil overs, and caster/ camber plates. Very nice set up as well, fit perfectly, works great, and does give you added room and sheds a lot of weight. This is a great option to go but also can add some big costs. My set up complete kit was about $1,500.00.Might be too spendy for some. Tho, you can buy just the K-member and save a lot of cash and bolt on all your stock parts. Using the 6 cyl. k-member does save you a lot of money over all.