How to solve this no heat problem?

150

Asked by Apr 22, 2012 at 11:34 PM about the 1996 Dodge Caravan

Dodge Caravan 3.0 V6 1996. Inlet and outlet of the heater core get hot. When i squeeze the inlet or outlet hose, i see the level underneath the radiator cap go up and down. Air blower works fine, but it won't give me warm air. How do i check the coolant pressure? What should the pressure be? Doesn't look like i have a leak in the system. Could it be a fault in the cold to warm switch? Or maybe the little door that should direct the air over the heater? Hope we can fix this problem. Cheers, Joey.

13,365

You could have a plugged heater core. Your airflow diverter might not be moving. You can check coolant pressure when up to temp by squeezing the upper radiator hose you should feel that the hose is firm. This is about 10-14 psi which is normal. Check other settings on your heater control; does everything else seem to work? Does the airflow move from defrost to floor to vents?

150

Thanks for the quick reply. Plugged heater? Not sure, but when i start the car and hold the inlet and outlet of the heater they become hot almost at the same time, so i think there must be flow through the heater otherwise the outlet wouldnt get hot. I think as well when it maybe just has a small flow through the heater, i should have a little bit of warm air coming out of the fan when i turn it on low, because it generates heat, but none what so ever. What happens when the pressure is to low, is the coolant not able to make its way through the heater, or is the flow not high enough to generate enough heat while air is being directed over the heater? The upper radiator hose doesn't seem to get very firm compared to when the engine is cold. I tried to listen if i could here the airflow diverter move when i went from cold to hot and back, but couldn't here anything. Tried it whit the blower off and on low. everything seems to work.Not sure where to listen though, i listened at where the blower is, behind glove box, passenger side. Where can i find this airflow diverter/ door lever that directs the air over the heater? Hope anyone knows the answers to my questions. Cheers, Joey

I had the heater door break in my '03 Caravan. This would not allow heat to be generated in winter even though motor was warm. The control somehow snapped the plastic "flapper" that closes over the heater box to generate heat. You have to take apart the whole dash to get at it. I replaced with a whole assembly from junk yard it was easier. Good luck this took me about two days to complete.

I have a similar problem but as I am driving I will occasionally get warm air then it goes back to cold air. Any ideas on that?