How do I ...?

25

Asked by May 28, 2008 at 07:14 PM about the 1996 Dodge Avenger

How do I take off the REV limiter on my 96' Dodge Avenger?.. Not that I want to go over the speed limit or anything..

3,235

It's programmed into the ECU, so people don't brake their cars.

45

You might check and see if superchips or some equivalent company makes a tuner for your car. I recommend having a professional make any changes though.

why would you want to remove it? it keeps you from blowing your valvetrain... plus, once you reach your engines peak power@rpm, its pointless to go any higher (diminishing returns), and thats below redline. the risk of of extreme motor damage just isnt worth it...

25

It's not that I want to red line it, but when I get it up to 105 it's only at 4500 RPM and won't go over 105 and it doesn't red line til 6500.. I'm not trying to blow my valve train.. I just want it to have more speed on the highways

that isnt the rev limiter, its either an electronic speed limiter (governor) or your car just doesnt have the power/gearing to go much past that with resistance. engine rpm isnt the only thing that limits a cars speed. a rev limiter is an electronic fuel cut off at redline. to reach higher rpms on the highway you would want to shorten your final drive gear, but thats kinda pointless in a road car cause it will eat your gas a lot more lol

25

so in your opinion whats the best way to increase the HP to get it to gun off the line and get a higher top speed? I already have a cold air intake on her and a new exhaust

595

you're not going to get anything crazy out of that 2.5 V6, thats already small displacement, not to mention it's a mitsu motor...there's no extensive power adders for those motors, unless possibly someone makes a turbo kit...but you're looking at big money there

ya johnny's right... unless your willing to spend a few thousand for a turbo or motor rebuild/head work your not really gana notice anything. you may be able to do a motor swap for maybe like $1500-2000, but theres not too much youre going to notice power wise with bolt ons. you could always change your plus/wires and get a new ignition set up for a few hp and better throttle response. new underdrive pulleys and a lightweight flywheel (if its a 5pd, otherwise you prob wont really notice it) will help it rev a little faster. you could also see if someone makes a chip for that motor. otherwise man welcome to the club of trying to make cheap power outa small displacement motors lol

320

dude it is not worth it to try to get your car to go any faster, being able to reach the speed of 105 (or what ever you said you could get) you don't need to hit 105 on the street. if you want to race your car on the track, buy a mustang and put money into it. buy a Mustang GT and the put on the coil over front, with an IRS system, and that will be one bitchen car.

25

alright..Thanks.. I guess I'll just stick to showing it.. so far I'm 11 for 19 on carshows so I'll just put my mmoney on accessories..but thanks anyway