avenger

Asked by Feb 28, 2007 at 11:42 AM about the 1996 Dodge Avenger

is this a good and reliable car to own? this will be my first car and it only has 105,000 miles on it.

31,535

Hi Veku, there were generally no major problems with the Avenger. As always when buying a car with over 100,000 make sure everything is in working order before you purchase it. Two of the biggest rants about the Avenger are the paint (tends to chip easily) and some issues with the power windows. Other than that its fine.

95

It really depends on the specific car and how it was treated. My own 96 Avenger (152,000 miles) has been extremely reliable, and I adore the 32 mpg with mixed driving (4 cyl with 5 speed). Just watch out for oxidizing paint and underbody rust...

45

Yeah dawg, don't worry bout it. This car is sick. I got a 95 Avenger ES with 152k that I'm hookin up. Got it with everything stock, an runs and drives like a dream. On top of that, the avenger from 95-99 are discontinued an pretty rare, harder to find than the nissan 300zx, an even run faster with da stock 190hp. I've already done a bunch of custom upgrades to mine, and ill upload pix when i get time so u have an idea. But like da dude who commented before me, watch out for underbody rust when it comes to the stock sideskirts specifically. Im going to change mine's and put a nice poison or viper bodykit anyway, but da stock sideskirts rust easy. I got dat problem for now.

15

defiantly good car to own fro fuel milage but watch out for frint in trouble at that kind of miles and check everything over before u get it mine is a 96 es and is great has 150,584 miles that i have put on it had 140,000 when i got it but great car had to practially rebuild the frontend with repairs but it still a great lookin and runnin car also watch out for bad tensioners and paint seems all cars from 95-99 have problems with red and black paint

5

Hey. I just read your post. I have the same year as your Avenger. How can you customize a '95 Avenger? I've basically given up on doing anything to mine because I can't find parts for it at all. I have the same problem with the stock sideskirts. I'm about to pull those off and possibly put on a Viper bodykit. They look sick.

35

Just so you know, I've already had to fix several problems with the Viper kits. They require some tinkering, so be prepared to make alterations on the fly. Just as well, watch your clearance. I can't express enough, that you are stealing that clearance with these kits, and if you forget just one time, you'll rip em' right off.

35

Be sure to check the engine, and check for rust. Feel free to compare the paint on the car, to the paint behind the license plate. It'll give you a good shot at comparing the aged paint, and just how much TLC it may take, to keep from occurring more damages to the paint job. CHECK THE BELTS! It's an old car after all, and you won't enjoy having to put down money for a new timing belt as soon as you buy it... Right? And hoses... They age, just like the car, and may need replacing.