I have a 1956 Chevrolet with a 350. It only has 6,000 miles and just about everything is new. I noticed the coil was leaking so I replaced it. I installed the new one exactly like the old one and now the car doesn't start. It tries to turn over. All the wire are good. Any ideas?

Asked by Mar 10, 2015 at 12:35 PM about the 1956 Chevrolet Nomad

100,495

Check coil power, it should be around 8.7 to 9.2 volts if the system is stock. Usually when engines are swapped out the wiring is updated to the new engine, so I have no idea what has been done to your vehicle.

I'm completely puzzled. Everything is good. Wiring is good. Everything ran great until I changed out the coil.(It was leaking). After installing the coil and it didn't start I put a new rotor and cap. I've checked everything I can think of.

100,495

It is possible that you got a bad coil, just because it is new doesn't mean it is a good one.

I thought of that so I put the old one back on just to test that theory and unfortunately it doesn't work (it did before I replaced it) either so I have to assume that it isn't the coil. I just don't know what else it could possibly be. Ballistic resistor seems fine.

100,495

Well then I would replace the points and condenser, this system is just not that complicated if the wiring and voltage is good.

It has a Pertronix electronic ignitor instead of points and condenser.

100,495

Ok, then get a test light and put it in the place of the ignition coil, crank the engine over and watch for a flash from the test light, if there is no flash then you need to replace the Pertronix system, the old coil most likely had an internal short that fried the unit.

Thanks I'll try that when I get home from work.