Do have to really crank the wheel to get around a corner on a classic car?

445

Asked by Apr 09, 2012 at 05:34 PM about the 1955 Chevrolet Nomad

Hello there. I have a question for you guys, and I am really hoping you can help me out. I do know for a fact that
some classic cars don't have power steering, and their steering equipment is outdated (If it's all original), and I want
to know if you have to really crank the wheel more so than on a regular car just to get around a corner?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, and I appreciate ALL your answers :)

Josh C.

825

I've driven a few old-school cars, the turns from center to left or to the right are the same, and heres a hint. While the car is sitting still, hell-ya she be hard to turn. If the car is moving ever so slighty, its easier (not much) to turn the wheel. This is where the Hand-over-hand steering in drivers ED comes from. Power steering since have made things way easier.

Best Answer