had les schwab do my breaks

50

Asked by May 24, 2013 at 04:12 AM about the 1997 Dodge Intrepid

les schwab did my breaks.. when i was coming down from the mountains i was getting a very hard shake from my front driver tire.. so i took it in and they said the rotor needed resurfacing..  they tossed in that as well as 2 new calipers for 240.00 with noting done to the rear.. so 2 days later i head at on vacation and at highway speeds did not notice anything until i got into spokane where i hear a kind of crunching like sound from both front brakes... well it was to late to have it checked out so i hit the local les schwab  first thing in the morning.  told them my brakes were making a sound. did not tell them i had just had them done.. so they look at them and ask if i had them done recently and i said yes 2 days ago.. by you.. and he says he was afraid of that.. seems the local shop was not paying attention he said when they had the rotors on the lathe... and both of them were done wrong and from what it sounded like they were like roller coasters... first  do they not do them seperately so how did they screw up both of them... and then the installed them anyway.. and now there may not be enough left to re turn them.   what do you thing went wrong.

228,915

Todays new rotors IMO are too thin to be resurfaced and should always be changed out when doing pads. From your question I surmise the rotors were "turned down" too far and the heat generated from your vacation drive warped them. I'd have them install new rotors on their dime. BTW: I'm sure you didn't need to replace the calipers. They don't typically go bad, and both at the same time? No. Just a way to take money out of your pocket. I wouldn't go back after you rectify this issue.

63,245

On long downhill stretches of road don't ride the brake pedal. Instead, shift the transmission into a lower gear to maintain vehicle speed. HTH. -Jim