#3 and #6 cylinders not firing at all, is it a bad camshaft sensor or the computer?

30

Asked by Jul 09, 2016 at 09:04 PM about the 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan

other cylinders have good spark...just changed wires too

12,035

How about the coil pack. Start there the computer told you NO spark on 3 and 6 right? DTC code. It's NOT CPS (cam sensor)

30

no coil pack on this year just one ignition coil getting commands from computer to fire...visually no sparks at 3 and6....dts from key method gives a cps error but I think that's just from being disconnected for a short time....engine will run barely at just above idle with full throttle...I would think it wouldn't run at at all with a bad cps, so I'm thinking computer....just bought this van and PO is stumped ...he replaced the timing belt due to a seized water pump...Ichecked that out and it looks good as far as the marks go on the cams and crank...he replaced the distributor with its looks like a new cps and checked the timing on that ..it looks good ...he replaced the PCM....don't know where from ....he replaced the o sensors...I put a new dist cap and wires on with no results...PCM #s r good

65,935

The new PCM will have to be flashed (programmed) using the vehicle identification number to work. Have you checked the compression on those two cylinders? If you have very low or no compression on those two cylinders they won't fire. Have you checked the ignition control module, if it has one? HTH. -Jim

30

Its a used PCM, hand cranking verifies compression, just has one ignition coil, no spark on these cylinders. Can hear fuel injectors clicking with stethoscope on #3 and#6

65,935

Did the PCM come out of a 6 cylinder vehicle? There was a 4 cylinder engine available. The PCM must be flashed, as I explained above, using your VIN. If the PCM came from a 4 cylinder vehicle it might not "know" there's 2 more cylinders to worry about. Are you getting any misfire trouble codes(P0300, P0303, P0306)? If not, that could be why. HTH. - Jim

30

Part numbers completely different for the four-cylinder plus it's getting fuelto the injectors I can hear the clicking I'm just thinking it's another bad computer

30

By the way I am an aircraft mechanic/airline mechanic what kind of aircraft is that