Turn on the A/C at the dashboard

10

Asked by May 03, 2018 at 12:57 PM about the 1997 Dodge Dakota

How do you activate the a/c on a 1997
Dodge Dakota SLT?  I don’t have a manual
and I’ve tried googling the question about
20 different ways and all I can find is how
to recharge it.  There has to be a switch to
go from regular fan to the a/c compressor.

4,030

You can see fuses in diagram, not only check fuses, use a test light and check voltage on fuse circuits. Some fuses are hot all the time, some go hot with the key on. Check the fuses both ways. Your hvac controls seems to be part of ground circuit, at least for the blower motor. You can see blower motor relay and compressor relay. Usually if the compressor clutch won't engage, the first thing you check is lo refrigerant. bbbind.com has free wiring diagrams.

10

All I have is a dial that you use to choose where to air blows from, fan speed dial and a dial for cool or hot, but I can’t find a button or lever or switch or anything to actually turn the A/C on. Thanks what I’m trying to find out. Any other vehicle ever owned had those 3 dials, but then there was another button that actually causes the a/c compressor to start running. Where do I find that on this truck? There has to be something like that otherwise the Freon will be running whether you want a/c or heat.

4,030

See the ac/heater control? You see on the right, the off position is center, to the left is heater, to the right is ac. To the left, should be no cold air and the compressor clutch should not engage. To the right, compressor clutch should engage and you should have cold air. I don't know liter size of engine, or if it matters?