97 Dakota won't stay running

Asked by Dec 26, 2009 at 07:56 AM about the 1997 Dodge Dakota

I have a 97 dodge Dakota that won't stay running. Starts hard and usually won't start unless the throttle is wide open. I tried replacing the air, oil, and fuel filter, plugs, wires , PCV valve, and Breather valve and still nothing. I can't figure it out. Someone told me that it could be the EGR valve and someone else said the coolant temp sensor. This drives me crazy, and I have to drive with one foot on the gas at all times so I am going through brake pads and I can't imagine it is good for the transmission either. Any help anyone can offer would be excellent!!

3,255

Sounds like the battery to me... these trucks need a good 13.5-14+ volts to run. Take it to get tested

it could be the egr, but it could also be an engine sensor. im not sure which one so check'um all. if your truck's brain less an input then itll do what it can to run, or not. your battery should be fine, but check it anyhow.

3,255

a 97 Dakota doesn't have an EGR

10

had the same problem......got a can of throttle body cleaner.....take what looks like a breather and spray the throttle.....when those flaps start sticking open it will make the engine run bad.

Had the same problem check ur wiring harness connection to the computer there's three plugs the one closest to the head light was the one that I had problems with I put zip ties around it to keep it tight cause Everytime I hit a bump it would cut up and backfire

Something is making my coil stop putting out spark everytime I run the truck. I take the coil wire off then the battery pos.off , wait a minute put them back on and it runs great for a little while . Then all over agan.. don't know what it is. But it's a real pain in the ass getting out everytime I drive it to do that procedure.,,,?????