my 98 dodge neon keeps overheating

20

Asked by Aug 13, 2010 at 05:37 PM about the 1998 Dodge Neon

i changed the water pump and the thermastat and it keeps over heating

check your oil for water,pull dipstick out if milkey looking you got a blown head gasket,i think you also have a bleeder valve nere the thermostat housing to bleed out any air in cooling system.

275

make sure that the radiator is not blocked also.Check to see if the top hose is returning water from the engine block ,and that it is circulating.

10,805

also make sure theres no air pockets under the thermostat, i did one on one of these cars one time and there was an air pocket that formed that kept coolant from touching the thermostat its easy to fix just pull it off and put it back on, also (ive seen it done before) make sure you have it on correctly

how do you get a air pocket under the housing.

10,805

i dont know exactly how it happens, but your cooling system is pressurized just like say your brakes. air in the lines keeps fluid from reaching the braking pistons and there fore you dont get brakes. your cooling systems the same way a air pocket develops on the block side of the thermostat, as the coolant in the block heats it expands and makes pressure, some times that pressure is so great that the air pocket actually stops the coolant from reaching the thermostat, if no coolant from the block side the thermostat makes it to the thermostat well it never opens and bam you over heat. its fairly common.

75

is your cooling fan coming on?

10

how long does it take for the cooling fan to come on after u start your car

10

my daughter had this car worked on for this problem but it is still overheating