I am trying to figure out how much a repair will be for a total replacement of break lines. I can't seem to find out how long the break line is for a 1998 dodge grand caravan. I don't think it should be this hard. Can someone help me get the information I need?

10

Asked by Jan 29, 2013 at 10:20 AM about the 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan

Are you sure it is the brake lines? Not master cylinder..other componets? Do you have a leak, or do the brakes feel "mushy"?

That is the brake light switch..wrong pic

6,585

I would expect a repair anywhere from $400-$600. It depends on how bad the lines are. If a mechanic is telling you that ALL of he lines are bad and they ALL need to be replaced, I would be a little hesitant to get them done immediately without getting at least a second opinion.

Best Answer
10

It is definitely the brake lines. One is broke and the others we are told are rusted. I have been getting estimates and they seem to say about 400.00 but they all say that they don't know how much brake line is needed. Shouldn't it be standard for all the different makes and models? You know something you can just look up in a book?

You don't need diagrams, as your replacing what is already there and listen to joef, i could not agree more ...take the old ones off and take them to the parts store, unlikely the will stock pre formed lined, but you can do that, but BE CAREFUL they will crimp, use the proper tool do not bend them by hand

6,585

There is a known problem with the braided brake section off the master cylinder corroding due to dissimilar metals.

10

That makes for difficult estimating I guess. Thank you all for your help. I am hoping to get this fixed for about 300. I might have two different people who are in that ball park price. They fix cars well also so I don't have to be worried about that!

6,585

Thank you DavidH25!

No they are not standard for ALL makes and models, they vary greatly and your mechanic has a problem if he can't give you an estimate because hr does not know how much line is needed, 99% of the cost for that job is labor

hey, you were right, so I simply agreed and clicked you helpful, usually the questioner decides that but gotta give credit where is due!

well jorf you were right, so i just clicked helpful and give credit where is due....Usually hitting 'helpful' is for the questioner to decide but I did it anyway

97,105

It cost me $800 to replace all the lines on my 2002 Pontiac. GM sells what they call a bundle which has two brake lines and three fuel lines. It goes from the ABS in the front to the back axle. The rest of the cost was the replacement of the rear drums and wheel cylinders which were rusted beyond repair. -- I had them all replaced because I'm in the rust belt and keeping the car for as long as it runs.