Gas fumes from the tank.

Asked by Apr 05, 2009 at 08:27 PM about the 1998 Dodge Caravan

When changing the fuel pump to my '98 3.0L Caravan, I eliminated a plastic elbow fumes vent over the tank that was cracked.  I sealed the hole and mounted everything back.  As of now, it's working alright. Does anyone know any secondary effects for doing this?

I am not sure exactly what that vent does, but I would guess that it is used for gas fumes recovery to the engine. Where exactly is it located/where does it connect to?

Its a gases vent that enters gasoline fumes to the engine through a plastic line. I've runned about 100 miles since and its running the same, if not a little better. (this could be due to new filter also) Oh!, the "Check Engine" light went off.

Does the plastic line that was connected to the elbow run up to the engine/intake somewhere? If so, you may want to find a replacement part, because it most likely functions as a pressure relief for the tank and allowsfumes to be burned rather than released into the air. I can't say for sure, but that seems to be the most likely purpose of the elbow.

Agree; I'll check for that replacement elbow. Thanks.

No problem. You don't want to let those precious fumes go to waste, or have a high pressure situation. Happy part hunting!

I found out the secondary effects: when refueling, tank will spit the gas back to my face. The vent I closed lets air out of the tank when gas is coming in.

LOL, that can't be fun. It makes sense though.

Took the gas tank down, fixed the exhaust vent; problem fixed.

Nice job! Enjoy your car!

If you smell fumes,there is something wrong,correct it by replacing the part that cracked,would you want children to ride in a car that allways smelled of gasoline fumes?