What are my options (year, size) for replacing the engine in my 1999 Intrepid, without having to make major modifications to the car? What is the BEST option?

Asked by Nov 10, 2010 at 09:58 PM about the 1999 Dodge Intrepid

I need to replace the engine in my 1999 Dodge Intrepid.  What are my options?  What year engines and what size engines will fit, without major modifications?  What is the BEST engine for this replacement?

find the same year modle and engine size,you should be able to find one in a salvage yard.

Well yes, that's the obvious option. I am wondering if there are others.

Well you could buy a new one from dodge,Interstate motors,or just have yours rebuilt,eather way you go it will cost,just a used one would be the cheapest way to go,you may even find a low milage one.

125

Hello, I understand your plight in wanting to figure out what motors will fit into your Intrepid. To tell you the truth I did my research on this myself. You can fit any motor from the Intrepid line into your '99, but it has to also have the wire harness and computer for that motor as well. not everything bolts up the same and you may need more than a motor when you're done, that is why most are saying get the same size and such that was in it originally. I went with the rebuild option from a shop called Accurate Engines out of Grandville Michigan. They do have a website you can Google and look up costs for purchase and shipping if you are from out of the local area. They were on E-bay and that is how I found them. I was surprised it was located less than 30 miles away from me. A '98 and '00 Intrepid later both with 2.7 Liter engines and I'm still running strong. They do come with a warranty as well. You can change engine size, but you will find more complications that way. Obviously you can fit different engines in there, but of course the question is how much hassle do you really want?

125

PS- Years of motors didn't really matter in this case. Wire harness routing might change along with one or two things, but it is not so bad that you can't use newer year motors.